Pages

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

First Week

Alrighty. Its been my first week down in here in the Sunny San Diego locale.

Where to start? This first week has been primarily meetings, and to spare you of the boring details, it was basically orientation to the field. This is important for a few reasons:



  1. BEAMM is under some reorganization with Gene Bowman leaving BEAMM. With the new missionaries to the San Diego area, BEAMM is rethinking what their role will be with the existing San Diego churches ministries.
  2. I know nothing of the churches, ministries, or problems that the churches here are facing/working/dealing with.
  3. I know nothing of the area of San Diego, or California in general. Therefore it has been good for me to gain an understanding of the roads, directions, and place myself in this city
Here is a trail I have been running on in the mornings through the mountains.

Saturday we visited some cliffs.

Another view from the trail
Sunday morning I attended Harbor: Mid-City Church with the Call family and the church service was incredible. The dual languages meant that the songs were sang with some verses in English, some in Spanish with mostly contemporary music. Then the Spanish and English speaking peoples separated in order for greater understanding concerning the sermon given. It was at this point that I stayed with the Call family in the Spanish service understanding most of the message from Pastor Edgardo. Then we came back together as a church for communion and benediction. It was really encouraging to see church unity displayed as such and it was an exciting environment for the interrelation/dependence of different cultures.

Sunday evening I attended New Life: La Mesa Church which actually reminded me a lot of Redeemer Presbyterian Church in Overland Park, KS (my home church). Distinctions being made, New Life was a little more traditional in its worship style and has been around for many years with a legacy of its service.

Monday, Memorial Day, New Life: La Mesa holds an annual church wide picnic in a San Diego Park. This was a great experience for getting to know New Life members as well as doing some ministry as a church in a park in the area. This was also a chance for me to get to know some of the high school students that I may be working with.

Tuesday was another day of meetings. However, this meeting was with Harbor: Mid City and it was a staff meeting. This meeting introduced a bunch of us to each other. There are some workers here from South Carolina that will be working with Harbor: Mid City specifically with Campus Crusade and working with the San Diego State and the students there. There were also some leaders of the Harbor that allowed me to get to know them as well.

Today is office catch up day after the holiday, which worked well with my updating schedule. My prayers section will be updated shortly.

Thank you all for your interest, prayers, and support and I apologize for the lack of photos. I am not used to carrying a camera around and need to get used it.

Zach Lutz

No comments:

Post a Comment