Pages

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Update on Past week

It has been almost a week and haven't updated on anything. This week we returned to a fairly normal schedule, or so I thought.
On Tuesday we found out that Juan Arjona's car broke down while vacationing in Rosarito (ironically). Therefore Ray and I drove North up to Escondido to pick up his second car, I drove his second car (following Ray) all the way back down South to the Border across the border, and down to Rosarito. For my first time driving in Mexico I think it went pretty well. I got a little lost because Ray got the red light (inspection) at the border, and I got the green light. Thinking that I would wait for him just across the border I somehow missed him and we ended up getting separated by a couple miles. Racking up my parent's phone bill (THANKS PARENTS!) I was able to relocate Ray and continue our journey down to Roasarito again.

We found Pastor Juan and his family fine after connecting him with Pastor Leo (that we had worked with the day before) and Juan was helped by Leo until his car could get there. After that Ray and I got some delicious tacos (Tacos el Yaqui [perrones]) and headed back up to San Diego.

Wednesday night Bible study in Escondido went slightly better than the week previous although we were short some members. Hopefully tomorrow my Spanish will continue to improve and the meetings will continue to get better as we get to know one another.

The action picks back up again on Friday where I helped with ESL, and sat in on Friday night Bible Study with Pastor Edgardo and Harbor: Mid-City. Saturday the Call's had a home-school conference to attend and I traveled up to Escondido to help with a food bank there attached to Mision vida nueva (Juan Arjona's church). These days I primarily help with the children, because there are never enough hands and they all speak English because of the schools.

Sunday was standard church day with morning service at Harbor: Mid-City, I called my father to wish him a happy Father's Day and then we attended New Life: La Mesa in the evening. These two churches are the two ends of the PCA's style of churches spectrum and I am getting some wide exposure.

Monday we prayed with a woman named Marisela who has cancer. Her and her family are not currently believers but we know them through a Spanish speaking member of Harbor: Mid-City. We also talked with this family extensively. It is incredibly encouraging as my comprehension of Spanish is increasing dramatically. I'd like to be able to say the same about my Spanish speaking, but to be honest I can't be too sure that it is.

Today is my scheduled day off for every week and the Call family and I went to have lunch and picnic on a beach in San Diego. With a high of 68 and the cold Pacific water, it was indeed chilly. Nevertheless, the journey to the specific beach included repelling down about 10 feet of cliff. Also, the cliffs left some incredible views, caves, and exploring to do with the kids. We had a blast, they got sunburned, and I totally forgot to bring a camera.

Thank you all for your support and prayers! I will try and remember photos for my next update!

1 comment:

  1. Dear Zach,
    Each posting I am able to discern rapidly growing boldness for His sake. Wow, that was so special about you praying for the sick women. Remember, you are the only Jesus they can see right now, so your love, care and compassion to reach out, you are indeed the Hands and Feet of our Lord.
    Again, a word from the Word for you today: “And Pray on my behalf, that utterance may be given to me in the opening of my mouth, to make know with boldness the mystery of the gospel." (Eph 6:19)

    ReplyDelete